Saturday, October 2, 2010

Litter mates...

Dear Congressman,

I must admit that living downtown is a big change from my days in the burbs where everyone had a yard and (for reasons I will never understand) parked two cars in their driveway while their garages were overfilled with stuff. We have managed to fit our car into the one car garage that came with our townhouse, however it took a herculean effort on our part to get to this point.

The biggest problem we currently have to battle is littering. Every other day Melody has to don a set of surgical gloves and clear the trash that individuals have casually just tossed aside thinking that the trash fairy will come along and clean it up. I guess that would make Melody and I the trash fairies.

It would be unfair to designate that the majority of people who live downtown are litterers. We have a city supplied garbage can on the street corner that is usually overflowing with trash, indicating that 99% of residents have the common decency to place their debris where it belongs. It is that other 1% that seems to believe that it is okay to just chuck unwanted items onto the streets of Cincinnati that create the ambiance we are desperately trying to avoid.

So, as an urban dweller, I would propose a new slogan for my neighborhood.

"Don't snitch, and don't litter either....."

No comments:

Post a Comment