Saturday, August 14, 2010

Boil Daddy Boil

Dear Congressman,

As the heat index in Cincinnati again climbs over 100 for the third day in a row, I must (in all honesty) question my decision to quit driving a car and take the 2x TANK (Transit Authority of Northern Kentucky) to work everyday. Not that I am complaining about the bus, which is air conditioned to the point that I occasionally spot other patrons donning coats due the welcomed chill the vehicle provides.

If I did have a complaint, it would be about the 15-20 minute walk each day from my front door to the aforementioned bus. Normally leaving around 6:30, for the last week I have hitched up my backpack, kissed Melody goodbye, and opened the front door to confronted by "air you can wear".

Now at 6:30 in the morning you would think that the temperature outside would be somewhat bearable, but my first block of seven in venturing to the bus stop proved to me that was not the case. I was only a hundred yards or so down John Street when I felt the first beads of sweat advance from my forehead to the lower part of my face. Within the next hundred yards I had come to the conclusion that this walk was going to be a continuation of the shower that I took not 20 minutes earlier before leaving my humble abode.

I made it to the bus stop without passing out, and once the bus arrived the aforementioned air conditioning provided a much needed relief from the heat and humidity. The true confirmation of the weather conditions came when I arrived at Terminal 1 of CVG. As I thanked the driver and got off the bus, my glass instantly fogged up to the point I could not see past the tip of my nose.

So if I make it through the summer and the extreme heat it has provided thus far, am I setting myself up for a chill fest when the Cincinnati winter season comes a callin'?

No comments:

Post a Comment